Ensuring the availability of balanced feed at an affordable price was a constraint to many farmers at Chendamangalam village in Ernakulam District. As a result, self-sufficiency in cattle feed production was long awaited.
Kottayil Kovilakam Milk Production Society at Chendamangalam was supported with machinery including a conveyor, trolley, and 7KW generator for mixing, weighing and packing. A period of six months was spent to understand what raw materials like maze powder, calcium powder, turmeric, ginger, salt etc should be mixed in, and in what ratio to make a balanced fodder. The samples were also confirmed for its nutrient content at an accredited lab.
The unit produces 2,000 bags of 40Kg cattle feed monthly providing an average income of Rs20,000/- to each active group member. The member-dairy farmers also get an incentive of Rs7/- per litre of milk that they provide to the Society.
- The cattle feed initiative is a model entrepreneurial unit that promotes self-sufficiency to villages in the dairy sector.
- A model unit providing a monthly income to 5 of its members.
- Farmers under the Society are assured with incentives from the profit share.
- Ensured availability of locally produced, reliable, balanced feed for cattle.
- Quality feed that guarantees increased cow milk production
- Supply of cattle feeds crossing borders of villages.
We also assure that the animals live happily ever after!